Strathbogie Shire Council

Tel 24/7: 1800 065 993

Rates and valuations

Strathbogie Shire residents are able to pay their rates via Post Billpay, Bpay, Cheque or by credit card over the phone to one our friendly customer service team members on 1800 065 993.  

How to pay your rates online


rates1 rates2

You have used BPAY, now use BPAY View


Get your Strathbogie Shire Council rates notice sent straight to your online or mobile bank

If you’re tired of paper bills and statements piling up, BPAY View can help. BPAY View sends your Strathbogie Shire rates notice straight to the same online or mobile bank you use to pay them, saving you from shuffling paper. With convenient email, SMS or bank message reminders and secure online or mobile access, BPAY View makes it easy to pay on time, every time. And BPAY View is easy on the environment too.

For more info visit the BPAY View website


Understanding Your Rate Notice

  • Click here to download a flyer that helps to explain what you see on your rate notice

  • Click here to download a flyer that explains how rates are calculated and how rate capping will effect your rates

  • Click here to download the Councillor's latest update and a description of  how your rates are spread across the Shire.

Rates Concession Form

Download a concession form for municipal rates

FAQ - Rates and Valuations

The Strathbogie Shire levies rates and charges in accordance with the Local Government Act and the Valuation of Land Act. Council's Revenue Department handles all enquiries concerning this process and is happy to discuss any issues/concerns ratepayers may have.

Listed below is some useful information frequently requested by our ratepayers.

How do I Change my Details?

If you have moved or your details have changed please advise the change in writing to c/- Revenue Department, Strathbogie Shire Council, PO Box 177 Euroa Vic 3666 or complete the online change of details form

Top of Page ↑

Is there Rates Assistance for Pensioners?

Yes! Please see our Rates Assistance for Pensioners page.

Top of Page ↑

What are the Payment Dates?

Rates notices are usually forwarded to ratepayers in August each year. Rates are collected by instalments as follows:-

Payment by Instalments
1st instalment due 30th September
2nd instalment due 30th November
3rd instalment due 28th February
4th instalment due 30 June (this has been extended in 2020 from 31 May due to the Coronavirus pandemic)

Late or overdue payments will attract interest charges at the rate determined by the Attorney General. For further details please refer to the reverse side of your rate notice.

If you are having difficulty paying your rates please contact the Revenue Department to discuss alternative payment options.

Top of Page ↑

How can I Pay my Rates?

 In person at:

  • Shire Offices, 109A Binney Street, Euroa. Open Monday to Friday - 9.00am to 5.00pm  
  • Nagambie Customer Service Office, 293 High Street, Nagambie. Open Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm 

By mail to:

  •  PO Box 177, Euroa VIC 3666

On the Internet:

Top of Page ↑

 What is a Municipal Evaluation?

Council employs an independent qualified Valuer to undertake property valuations. The Valuer returns to Council a valuation that has been approved by the Valuer General. When this valuation is formally adopted by Council it is used as the basis for calculating rates.

Council uses the Capital Improved Value multiplied by the rate in the dollar (as set by Council each year), to calculate the amount of rates to be paid.

Top of Page ↑

Can I Object the Valuation?

A formal objection to a valuation may be made in relation to the value of a property and also upon other grounds as specified in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act. Ratepayers may object to their valuation within two months of the issue date of the rate notice. After receiving an objection a valuer must discuss the matter with an objector, who, if not satisfied with a decision may appeal to the Land Valuation Board of Review. An objection to a valuation does not negate the requirement of a ratepayer to pay rates that have been levied, by the due date.

Forms are available at the Council offices. Return the completed and signed form to: Fax (03) 5795 3550 or Strathbogie Shire 109A Binney Street (P.O. Box 177, Euroa 3666).

Top of Page ↑

How does the State Revenue Office Use my Valuation?

The State Revenue Office uses site values for the purpose of assessing land tax under the Land Tax Act 1958. There is no right of objection or appeal to a Council valuation arising from its use for land tax.

Therefore, any objections against the 2012 general level of valuation must be made to local Councils within the time limits prescribed under the Valuation of Land Act 1960. Further information on the use of valuations for land tax can be found on the Victorian State Revenue Office.

Top of Page ↑

What do SV, CIV and NAV mean on my rate notice?

The three valuations that appear on your rate notice as SV –Site Value, CIV – Capital Improved Value and NAV – Net Annual Value are explained as follows:

Site Value – the market value of the land only.
Capital Improved Value – the total market value of the land and all improvements.
Net Annual Value – either 5% of the CIV or the current value of net annual rental.

Top of Page ↑

How are my Rates Calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying the Capital Improved Value of the property (as determined by the Valuer General) by the relevant “Rate in the Dollar”, as determined by Council each year. The rate in the dollar varies according to the property type i.e. Commercial/Farm/Residential. This information appears on your current rate notice.

In addition, there may be other levies which apply to your property i.e. Municipal Charge, Garbage Charge and Recycling Charge.

Top of Page ↑

Why do I Pay a Municipal Charge?

The Municipal Charge is a flat fee set each year by Council and is applicable to all rateable properties. The charge covers part of the administrative costs of operating Council, and assists with the equitable spread of the rate burden across the whole of the Shire.

Top of Page ↑

Am I Paying for a Garbage Service?

The waste, recycling and organics service is compulsory for all habitable dwellings within townships and by application for other properties who have requested them and where they are available outside the townships.

If you have a waste service you MUST have all three bins. These charges are shown on your rates notice as a separate levy to your rates and are not subject to rate capping.

The charge is set each year by Council to cover the cost of collecting, disposing or processing of waste, recycling and organics materials.

Top of Page ↑

What Happened to the Rural Land Rebate?

The Rural Land Management program has been discontinued and replaced with a Farm Differential Rate. The farm rate will be available to all properties zoned farming of 40 hectares or greater and to properties of less than 40 hectares and greater than 2 hectares which can satisfy criteria establishing the property as a bona fide farm. Properties zoned farming not meeting the requirements for the Farm Differential rate will be rated at the Residential rate.

Top of Page ↑

Featured Links

Top of Page