Strathbogie Shire Council

Tel 24/7: 1800 065 993

Rates and Valuations Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Rates and Valuations

The Strathbogie Shire levies rates and charges in accordance with the Local Government Act and the Valuation of Land Act. Council's Revenue Department handles all enquiries concerning this process and is happy to discuss any issues/concerns ratepayers may have.

Listed below is some useful information frequently requested by our ratepayers.

How do I Change my Details?

If you have moved or your details have changed please advise the change in writing to c/- Revenue Department, Strathbogie Shire Council, PO Box 177 Euroa Vic 3666 or complete the online change of details form

Top of Page ↑

Is there Rates Assistance for Pensioners?

Yes! Please see our Rates Assistance for Pensioners page.

Top of Page ↑

What are the Payment Dates?

Rates notices are usually forwarded to ratepayers in August each year. Rates are collected by instalments as follows:-

Payment by Instalments
1st instalment due 30th September
2nd instalment due 30th November
3rd instalment due 28th February
4th instalment due 31 May

Late or overdue payments will attract interest charges at the rate determined by the Attorney General. For further details please refer to the reverse side of your rate notice.

If you are having difficulty paying your rates please contact the Revenue Department to discuss alternative payment options.

Top of Page ↑

How can I Pay my Rates?

 In person at:

  • Shire Offices, 109A Binney Street, Euroa. Open Monday to Friday - 9.00am to 5.00pm  
  • Nagambie Customer Service Office, 293 High Street, Nagambie. Open Monday to Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm 
  • Australia Post

By mail to:

  •  PO Box 177, Euroa VIC 3666

On the Internet:

Top of Page ↑

 What is a Municipal Valuation?

Council employs an independent qualified Valuer to undertake property valuations. The Valuer returns to Council a valuation that has been approved by the Valuer General. When this valuation is formally adopted by Council it is used as the basis for calculating rates.

Council uses the Capital Improved Value multiplied by the rate in the dollar (as set by Council each year), to calculate the amount of rates to be paid.

Top of Page ↑

Can I Object the Valuation?

A formal objection to a valuation may be made in relation to the value of a property and also upon other grounds as specified in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act. 

Should you wish to object to the valuation or the land use classification (AVPCC), you must log onto the Victorian State Government page and complete your objection. 

Prescribed forms will be available from Council Offices for anyone who does not have access to the internet for lodging their objection. Return the completed and signed form to Strathbogie Shire 109A Binney Street (P.O. Box 177, Euroa 3666).

Objections must be lodged within the State Government Portal no later than 2 months from the issue date on your notice.

Lodging an objection does not constitute grounds for non-payment of rates assessed on this notice.

Top of Page ↑

How does the State Revenue Office Use my Valuation?

The State Revenue Office uses site values for the purpose of assessing land tax under the Land Tax Act 1958. There is no right of objection or appeal to a Council valuation arising from its use for land tax.

Therefore, any objections against the general level of valuation must be made to local Councils within the time limits prescribed under the Valuation of Land Act 1960. Further information on the use of valuations for land tax can be found on the Victorian State Revenue Office website.

Top of Page ↑

What do SV, CIV and NAV mean on my rate notice?

The three valuations that appear on your rate notice as SV –Site Value, CIV – Capital Improved Value and NAV – Net Annual Value are explained as follows:

Site Value – the market value of the land only.
Capital Improved Value – the total market value of the land and all improvements.
Net Annual Value – either 5% of the CIV or the current value of net annual rental.

Top of Page ↑

How are my Rates Calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying the Capital Improved Value of the property (as determined by the Valuer General) by the relevant “Rate in the Dollar”, as determined by Council each year. The rate in the dollar varies according to the property type i.e. Commercial/Farm/Residential. This information appears on your current rate notice.

Top of Page ↑

What is the Fire Services Property Levy (FSPL) on my Rate Notice?

Council is required to collect the FSPL levy on behalf of the State Revenue Office.

The levy is to assist in funding Victoria’s fire and emergency service via MFES and CFA. 

This levy is applicable to all Victorian properties annually.  It replaces the levy previously collected by insurance companies through property insurance premiums.

This levy consists of two parts:  a fixed charge and a variable rate which is based on the property classification and Capital Improved Value. 

Those who hold a pension concession card or DVA Gold Card receive a $50 concession on their principal place of residence per year. 

Those properties recognised by Council as a Single Farm Enterprise may also be eligible for the payment of one only fixed charge on the principal property plus the variable amount on all properties associated with the SFE.

Top of Page ↑

Am I Paying for a Garbage Service?

The waste, recycling and organics service is compulsory for all habitable dwellings within townships and by application for other properties who have requested them and where they are available outside the townships.

If you have a waste service you MUST have all three bins. These charges are shown on your rates notice as a separate levy to your rates and are not subject to rate capping.

The charge is set each year by Council to cover the cost of collecting, disposing or processing of waste, recycling and organics materials.

Top of Page ↑

What Happened to the Rural Land Rebate?

The Rural Land Management program has been discontinued and replaced with a Farm Differential Rate. The farm rate will be available to all properties zoned farming of 40 hectares or greater and to properties of less than 40 hectares and greater than 2 hectares which can satisfy criteria establishing the property as a bona fide farm. Properties zoned farming not meeting the requirements for the Farm Differential rate will be rated at the Residential rate.

Top of Page ↑


What if I am having trouble making payments?

We understand that sometimes things can get tough financially and encourage people to call our friendly team to discuss possible options.

A copy of our Rate and Charges Collection and Hardship Policy can be found here.

Top of Page ↑


Featured Links

Top of Page