Strathbogie Shire Council

Tel 24/7: 1800 065 993

In this Section:

Strathbogie Shire Council

Travel exemption scheme for bushfire preparation

From Wednesday 6 October 2021, Victorians who need to travel to carry out summer fire preparation activities can apply to their local council for an exemption to current travel restrictions. If the exemption is approved, property owners or their nominated representatives may be able to travel to complete preparation activities from Monday 11 October 2021, subject to the conditions of their exemption permit. We ask for your patience as we expect that we will receive a significant number of applications and it may take time to process each request.

Permit holders will be able to travel for a specified period of up to 72 hours to carry out preparation works.

Eligibility is based on a range of factors including the location of the property, the area’s Bushfire Management Overlay, the works to be undertaken, and the period of requested travel.

Residents of metropolitan Melbourne and restricted areas

  • Residents of metropolitan Melbourne and restricted area residents are strongly encouraged to use local contractors to undertake work where possible.
  • If you live in metropolitan Melbourne or a restricted area and own property in regional Victoria, you can only travel to that property if the council has issued you with a permit or a Fire Prevention Notice requiring you to undertake fire preparation work at your property.
  • If you live in metropolitan Melbourne or a restricted area you cannot travel to or within regional Victoria to help family members or friends prepare their property, unless you provide care or support to the person because they have needs including age, infirmity, disability, illness, chronic health condition or matters relating to health.
  • People travelling from metropolitan Melbourne or restricted areas to regional Victoria to undertake emergency preparation must comply with the restrictions that apply in metropolitan Melbourne or their restricted area even when they are in regional Victoria.


Please click here for questions and answers that you may have around what you can and cannot do


Apply now

Click here to complete the form required to apply for a travel permit.
Please allow at least three business days for your permit to be processed.



Featured Links

Top of Page